TAGET 2050 Farms
About the Farms
TAGET 2050 will engage in modern organic farming targeting the cultivation of a full range of crops including cereals, tubers, legumes, vegetables, fruits as well as raising dairy cattle and white meat animals such as poultry, fish, and rabbits.
While these crops will provide foodstuff for the school children and the surplus processed, packed and sold to the community at affordable prices, the undertaking will also serve to provide opportunities for youth training in the practices of modern agriculture and animal husbandry in preparation for some of them to engage in such trades in lives after school. The main inputs for such projects are closely related to those for the crop processing project below. The profits from these this and the other projects outlined here will be ploughed back into the other community impacting projects for the common good of all the people. This is the social business model to investment which TAGET 2050 embraces.
The farms and crop processing social business investments aim to:
- Create, promote and manage community-based economically viable and sustainable science and technology backed modern agricultural and livestock production and crop processing practices,
- Serve as training grounds for students and members of the surrounding communities to engage in modern farming practices on the principles of collaborative self-reliance and qualify to be selected for contracts to produce crops for the project crop processing plants,
- Achieve communal food self-sufficiency and raise the nutritional status and standards of the community,
- Promote and support rural industries by way of small crop processing businesses at community levels and promote the improvement of crop outlet markets,
The initial farms will be located within the vicinity of the ESP high Schools on 150 acres of land of mixed soils at Maseyu village in Morogoro Region, a few kilometers from Morogoro Municipality and 12 kilometers off the main Dar es Salaam – Morogoro highway. Additional farms will be located in other selected parts of Tanzania, specifically Turiani in Mvomero District of Morogoro and Miono in Chalinze District of Coast Region.
The farm business
TAGET 2050 farms will undertake mixed farming targeting maize and other cereals, legumes tubers such as cassava and assorted fruits and vegetables. The farms will not make use of artificial fertilizers which are likely to pollute the soil and the environment. Instead, use will be made of cycles of legumes and custom or tailor-made fertilizers to meet the micronutrient requirements of the soils.
TAGET 2050 Crop Processing project aims to add value to the crops grown under TAGET 2050 farms. The initiative will provide young persons as well as community members with opportunities to learn the success secrets of small and medium-size industries while mastering skills for employment in the nation’s growing industrialization programme.
The farms and agro-products processing projects will need such key inputs as soil testing and treatment equipment and materials, farm machineries, transport facilities, rolls of paddock making wire, refrigerated trucks, farmhouses and staff induction training as well as expertise from volunteering and experienced farmers from around the world to provide on-site training and advice to local farmers and the students of ESP High schools.
The planned initial output from the TAGET 2050 crop harvesting and processing is projected at
- Cassava 2,000 tons
- Cereals 2,000 tons
- Milk products 1, 000 tons
- Legumes 500 tons
- Meat (various) 500 tons
- Fruits 500 tons
- Vegetables 500 tons
The organization will also engage in raising dairy cattle, goats, sheep, poultry, piggery and fish farming. The by-products from the animals will add value to the soils in the form of manure for the crop farms.
Main inputs for the TAGET 2050 Farms
The main initial inputs for the farms, animal husbandry, and crop processing projects will include:
- 1 soil testing equipment,
- assorted quality seeds,
- 3 farm vehicles,
- farm machinery and equipment (one heavy duty cultivator with harrow, planter and fertilizer dispenser),
- 10 rolls of paddock making wires,
- 2 farm buildings and 2 stores,
- animal parent stocks,
- 2 refrigerated vehicles for dairy and poultry animal products,
- a cold room,
- 1 factory building with storerooms,
- 4 senior staff houses,
- 10 houses for support staff,
- Two tailor-made induction training targeting farm management, acquisition of farm credits, processing, preservation and storage of the crops and search for marketing outlets.